These include recreation beaches, river reserves and public swimming pools. There are no patrolled beaches in Tasman, so swimmers should take extra care to consider their safety before setting out.
Think before you swim:
- Can you be seen? Avoid areas with lots of boat traffic and consider a bright swim cap or fluoro t-shirt;
- Avoid swimming near boat launching ramps or wharves, especially when they are in use by boats - take special care to watch out for children near ramps;
- Do not swim in areas reserved for waterskiing or access lanes if they are in use;
- Avoid channels or other areas subject to strong currents, especially during outgoing tides.
- Avoid swimming, water-skiing or other contact recreation for 1-2 days after rain.