Lake Nganganga toxic algae alert

Toxic algae (cyanobacteria) have been found at Lake Ngangana at levels exceeding recreational bathing guidelines.

Learn more about toxic algae in this factsheet.

Cyanobacteria can become a problem when they increase to high concentrations, forming 'blooms'. Blooms are more common during the summer months, when low rainfall, warm temperatures, the right level of nutrients and more sunlight create an environment where it can thrive.  Cyanotoxins can be a threat to humans and animals when ingested (eaten, even licked, or when water containing the toxins is swallowed), inhaled or through contact with skin.  

Anyone who suspects they are experiencing a reaction due to contact with toxic algae should seek urgent medical attention and advise their doctor of the potential exposure to toxic algae.