Unfortunately two dogs died recently after eating detached toxic algae mats along the Waipoua River. The dog deaths re-inforce the importance of Greater Wellington's summer monitoring programme and the role we play in keeping our communities, and their pets, safe.
Current no swim warnings
- Waipoua River, warning extends from Paierau Road to confluence with the Ruamahanga.
Caution advised warnings
- Waikanae River, warning extends from Main Rd (old SH1) to river mouth
- Hutt River, warnings for Melling and Siverstream sites.
- Ruamahanga River, warning for Morrison’s bush site.
- Otaki River, warning extends Hautere Water Treatment Plant to the mouth
- Warnings for the Waingawa river have been lifted following recent rain in these catchments.
Key messages for the public