Toxic algae has been observed at the Ruamāhanga River at Double Bridges and Ruamāhanga River at Te Ore Ore sites. Detached mats have also been observed.
These sites are being checked on a weekly basis.
We recommend you keep dogs on leads and away from the river at all times as toxic algae represents a very real risk to human and animal health.
If you have been in contact with toxic algae and are feeling unwell see your doctor or ring Healthline 0800 611 116. If you think your dog has swallowed toxic algae, take it to the nearest vet immediately.
To remind yourself what toxic algae looks like see https://www.gw.govt.nz/environment/freshwater/swimming-water-quality/toxic-algae/