learn

Caution remains on Waipoua River due to toxic algae

Caution is advised along the Waipoua River .

Toxic algae levels remain high at this site. We recommend you avoid swimming, and keep dogs on leads near the river.

Toxic algae can be fatal to dogs, especially when mats wash up on the river’s edge. Dogs like the musty smell, and like to eat it. If you walk your dog in this area, keep safe by:

  • Considering walking elsewhere until conditions improve.
  • Keeping your dog away from the water
  • Using a leash during your walk

If you suspect that your dog has eaten toxic algae, contact your vet immediately. Stay safe, and check out our web page for more information - https://www.gw.govt.nz/freshwater-toxic-algae/