learn

12 Jan 2021: Toxic algae update - Waipoua River

There is a high risk to dogs walking near the Waipoua river due to detached toxic algal mats.

Toxic algae can be fatal to dogs, especially when mats wash up on the river’s edge. Dogs like the musty smell, and like to eat it. If you walk your dog in this area, keep safe by:

  • Considering walking elsewhere until conditions improve – the Ruamahanga River is a safe alternative.
  • Keeping your dog away from the water
  • Using a leash during your walk

If you suspect that your dog has eaten toxic algae, contact your vet immediately. Stay safe, and check out our web page for more information - https://www.gw.govt.nz/freshwater-toxic-algae/